Saturday, 12 November 2016

Making Sense of Donald Trump and America


I've been watching the on-going car crash that is America. The best articles I've found to explain the inevitable rise of Donald Trump are this one in The Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/11/08/a-new-theory-for-why-trump-voters-are-so-angry-that-actually-makes-sense/?tid=hybrid_experimentrandomuk_3_na

and this one:

https://www.theautomaticearth.com/2016/09/why-there-is-trump/

And I don't disagree with a word of what Trump himself said in Minneapolis: "Our failed establishment has brought us nothing but poverty at home, and disaster overseas. We are tired of economic and foreign policies that have BLED THIS COUNTRY DRY. It is time for REAL CHANGE that puts the people back in charge. This election will decide who runs this country: the Corrupt Political Class – or YOU, the American People. That’s the choice. She’s with THEM – I’m with YOU. This is our last chance."

The smoke was blown away and the mirrors were smashed when austerity bit only the victims of the bankers' crimes. Though I disagree with many of Trump's throwaway thoughts and words (let's wait until we judge his actions) I'm glad that a free-speaking man triumphed over a ventrilquist's doll (strings pulled by too many corporate paymasters in the States and the Middle East), though Clinton herself has admirable qualities.
I hope that Trump restores and extends the right to free speech for all American citizens, not that America has ever had anything remotely like free speech. I remember having that discussion with a group of Americans on my first visit to the States in the 1980s, and I shut them up and won the day for England when I said (jokingly) "I'm a communist." I'm not a communist, never was and never will be, but in the States you couldn't even say those words without getting into trouble, and the Americans I was with were too scared to say it even in jest.
In Britain a Nobel-prize winning scientist was sacked for saying that a woman looked attractive on a photograph - a victim of aggressive feminism that had overreached itself to the point of insanity. I think the best symbol of the way the democrats lost the election is the celebrities wearing silly silly 'nasty women' T-shirts and caps. These played their part in rousing long-forgotten Christian men and women to say 'enough in enough'. I admire women who are wise, fun, strong, honest, glorious, true, supportive, leading, thinking, bold and visionary. I'll never admire a woman who is nasty. I mean, I'm sure those shirts and that message were fun for their peers and girlfriends, but imagine how it went day, say in the Amish communities. Good guys think of others before themselves.


No comments: